Last updated June 29, 2012.
Clean Up The Current Code
There is room to improve our current JS:
- #1574470: [Meta] selectors clean-up
Better Inline Documentation
Drupal is one of the best documented open source projects. Time to bring our JS up to the level of everything else.
- #352951: Make JS & CSS Preprocessing Pluggable
Drupal JS Handbook Awesomeness
Let's teach people how to do our common stuff.
Let's minify our JS. The size savings can translate into real end user performance.
Solid Architectural Patterns For All The JS
There is a LOT of JS in Drupal 7 and we imagine even more in Drupal 8. Architecturally we can benefit from using modular patterns, like what Dojo or jQuery UI are using. In addition there are some libraries, like underscore, that may be able to provide utilities that help us write better JS.
- #1542344: Use AMD for JS architecture
- #1541860: Reduce dependency on jQuery
- #1446166: Use JS events instead of Drupal.behaviors
- #1090592: [meta] Use HTML5 data-* attributes instead of #ID selectors in Drupal.settings
- #1033392: Script loader support in core (LABjs etc.)
- #1172670: Evaluate standardized usage of HTML5 Storage API (e.g. through a library)
The actual issues involved in all of this can be found in the issue queue at http://drupal.org/project/issues/3060/term/232