There are three main ways to get the Conference Organizing Distribution:
The speedy way: Download the packaged COD distribution
The majority of people should download the packaged distribution from usecod.com. It's:
- As easy to install as core Drupal
- Packaged with Drupal core and all required modules and libraries
The drawback: You won't get the benefit of improvements made since the latest package was created (which typically happens every few months).
The command-line way: Build it yourself using Drush and Drush Make
This method downloads COD and all dependencies. It's a great way to preview upcoming features in a development version of COD (cod-dev). However, you need to know how to use:
Note: These steps worked using versions that were current when this documentation was written: git 1.7, drush 4.5, and drush_make 2.2. Alter the instructions for later versions as needed.)
- Install Drush, instructions are available on the Drush project page.
- If you installed Drush 5 you can skip this step, otherwise install the Drush Make extension:
$ drush dl drush_make
- Setup your folder structure: (Note: this is to store the D6 and D7 versions of COD)
$ cd ~/Sites/ (or wherever you usually setup your localhost sites)
$ mkdir cod
DRUPAL 7: Download the code:
git clone --recursive --branch 7.x-1.x http://git.drupal.org/project/cod.git /path/to/install
DRUPAL 6: Run the cod-dev.make:
$ cd cod/cod6
$ drush make --working-copy 'http://drupalcode.org/project/cod.git/blob_plain/refs/heads/6.x-1.x:/cod-dev.make' cod6
Note: this should download Drupal core as well as all of the modules you need to install COD.
DRUPAL 7: Run the build-cod.make:
drush make /path/to/install/build-cod.make path-to/new/cod-site
- Go to your actual Drupal install in your browser and at /install.php, it will automatically install based on the COD profile (in D7) or you'll need to select the COD profile (D6).
The module-by-module method: Download the individual cod_support modules
At the core of COD's functionality are the cod_support modules. You can download these modules from the cod_support project. If you clone from Git or use the development snapshot, you can have the latest version of these features. Simply download cod_support, and enable the features you want using the Features module interface at admin/build/features.
- Download and enable only the features you want
- Makes it easy to add COD functionality to an existing Drupal site
- Drawback: You have to download module dependencies