This LDAP integration module allows users to authenticate against a configurable Lightweight Directory Access Protocol directory. This is useful for organizations which have an existing organizational directory with usernames and passwords, and want Drupal to be able to authenticate against it.
Users can read and modify their LDAP entries, and the administrator is able to limit configuration.
LDAP Integration Module (starting with 6.x-1.0-beta3) in reality, is a set of five modules:
- Authentication (ldapauth.module)
- Required module. It implements basic LDAP integration and sets up the environment for the other optional modules.
- Groups (ldapgroups.module)
- Optional. Extends the basic functionality and integrates LDAP Groups into Drupal Roles.
- Data (ldapdata.module)
- Optional. Extends the basic functionality and allows for the management of LDAP Attributes from within Drupal.
Requires the profile or content profile modules to be installed.
- Sync (ldapsync.module)
- Optional. Works with the other three modules to allow for manual or cron based import/updating of a site's Drupal users from the LDAP server(s)
The ldapdata or ldapgroups modules should be installed for best results.
- Help (ldaphelp.module)
- Optional. Supplies some tools and wizards that allow admins to check / debug their LDAP server settings. Note that this has not been well maintained.