I started to work a bit on with D7 and on of the first steps was to install the admin_menu. I activated the better toolbar also. But after I activated it I though "why is the styling of this module just a little different than the default styling".
What I hoped was to get the samestyling as the D7 toolbar with the extra features of the dropdown admin menu. I like the D7 style a litle better than the current styling. I talked about it with sun on IRC and he stated that "it's outdated and needs updating". We talked about it and the suggestion came to do a small proposal and make list of things I was thinkin of.
There are two files attached. One is the better toolbar style as it currently is. And the second is the style used by D7. Here is the list of things I would change.
- First I would remove the gradient in the background.
- I would bring down the font size a little to that of D7.
- Span the shortcut bar the the same over the complete width.
- Remove the red 'alert' button behind the users name in the top.
- Bring the gradient that is in D7 below the bar to into the same place
It looks to me as if the current D7 toolbar is copied from the Better Toolbar with these minor changes that I mentioned. It would be great to see admin_menu transform into a core module that is there for the DX and UX experience. Maybe aligning this module a bit more would be a step in that direction.
By aligning the two users will have get a more comfortable feeling in using new features. They don't have to adjust to much.