VoIP Drupal FAQ
What is VoIP Drupal?
VoIP Drupal is an innovative framework that enables Drupal users to contribute and access content via regular touchtone phones, SMS and a variety of Internet-based communication systems such as Skype, IM, or Twitter.
In technical terms, the goal of VoIP Drupal is to provide a common API and scripting system that interoperate with popular VoIP PBX implementations (Asterisk, FreeSwitch, Tropo, Twilio, etc) dramatically reducing the learning and development costs associated with the construction of communication systems that combine voice and text technologies together.
Why is it called VoIP Drupal?
VoIP Drupal combines the power of Voice-over-Internet-Protocol (Voip) technology -- the same technology that enables Skype, conference calls, voice menus, and more -- with Drupal (http://www.drupal.org/), a popular open source toolkit that facilitates the creation of social- and media-centric web portals.
What are the benefits of VoIP Drupal?
From an user perspective, VoIP Drupal systems might
- Foster social inclusion and digital participation, providing web presence, data access and online communication channels for even those who may not have regular access to computers or the Internet
- Let individuals decide how they want to be reached, often from a variety of channels such as phone calls, SMS, email, voicemail or other
- Bring the power of voice to the forefront of the web, making it easier for people to literally “say” what they want in personal or intuitive ways that might be much harder to do via text- or video-based media
From an organizational perspective, VoIP Drupal enables the creation of systems that
- Facilitate interaction with traditionally hard to reach customers or constituency
- Go where people are, providing an outlet to Internet 2.0 channels such as Skype, SMS, IM and more
- Tighly integrate the above channels with Drupal, potentially lowering costs inherent to the implementation and maintenance of communication and content management systems
- Are super cool and open the door for all sort of innovative solutions yet to be created
What are example applications that can be built with VoIP Drupal?
VoIP Drupal can be used to build hybrid applications that combine phone, web, SMS and other communication tools in a variety of ways, including:
- Voice- and SMS-based Go Out to Vote campaigns
- 2-1-1, 3-1-1 and other information hotlines
- Phone-based community surveys
- PTA and other meeting reminders
- Story recording / playback
- Group voicemail
- Audio speed-dating services
- Language training
- Audio tours
- Adventure games
- Interactive community radio programs
- Geo-based callblasts aimed at specific streets or locations
- And much more!
Who developed VoIP Drupal?
VoIP Drupal was originally conceived and developed by the MIT Center for Future Civic Media (http://civic.mit.edu/). It was inspired by Leo Burd's PhD research on the development of appropriate technologies for digital inclusion, social empowerment and local civic engagement.
How can I contribute to the VoIP Drupal framework?
VoIP Drupal is under fast and continuous development. Individuals and organizations are welcome to help review the VoIP Drupal API, contribute new modules to extend the framework, or help improve existing ones.
How to obtain additional information about VoIP Drupal?
General discussions are taking place on the VoIP Drupal Group.
For specific questions, feel free to write to firstname.lastname@example.org