The Variable translation module, part of the Internationalization (i18n) package, allows you to translate text and settings that are stored in Drupal as variables. These variables include text such as 'site name' and 'site slogan', as well as settings like 'Default front page' and 'Default 404 page'.
The Variable translation module has a dependency on the Variable module.
Support for Contributed Modules
Variables provided by contributed modules can also be translated by the Variable translation module if they implement
hook_variable_info(). For documentation, see the Variable module project page.
To enable multilingual variables (Figure 1):
- Enable the Variable translation module included with the Internationalization package
- Go to Administration > Configuration > Regional and language > Multilingual settings
- Click on the Variables tab
- Select the variables that will be multilingual
- Click Save configuration button
Once you have the correct settings, they'll be marked with "This is a multilingual variable" when you go to the corresponding administration pages (Figure 2). You must switch the site language while in the administration pages to set the variables for each language. A language switcher link will appear at the top of each administrative page that has multilingual variables.