If you merge a slave site into a bakery cluster where there are some overlapping users you are likely to have some problems. This page describes how to fix some of those problems.
Conflicting slave site accounts
This scenario has three users that all belong to the same person:
- user #123 on master called Bob with the email address firstname.lastname@example.org.
- user #234 on slave called Bob with the email address email@example.com
- user #987 on slave called Robert with the email address firstname.lastname@example.org
Figure out which of the 2 slave accounts Bob wants to keep (let's say #987) and then:
- Edit user #234 and change the name to something like Bob_oldandnotused
- Edit user #987 to change the name to Bob
The account should now work.
Accounts with the same name, but different people.
This scenario has 2 different people who have
- user Robert Smith #123 on the master site with the username Rsmith
- user Roberta Smith #765 on the slave site with the username Rsmith
It can be hard to know what to do in this scenario. Ideally start a discussion with the users and see if one is willing to change their username. Otherwise you can use (or create) a policy in the community that if a person is no longer using their account it can get retired and handed over to someone else. A best practice there is simply to rename the account that is no longer going to be used and create a new account.