- Advisory ID: DRUPAL-SA-CONTRIB-2012-096
- Project: Authoring HTML (third-party module)
- Version: 6.x
- Date: 2012-June-06
- Security risk: Moderately critical
- Exploitable from: Remote
- Vulnerability: Cross Site Scripting
This module creates an input format suitable for use within a WYSIWYG editor. It adds support for the
iframe HTML tag, making it friendly with the popular
iframe embeds available in popular video sites like YouTube and Vimeo. It supports the
script tag too. Both tags will only be allowed if the referred URL is whitelisted. By default, you can refer some well known video sites in the
iframe tag and any site with the
The module doesn't sufficiently verify the whitelisted hosts. This allows an attacker to register and use a malicious host, bypassing verification.
This vulnerability is mitigated by the fact that an attacker must have a role authorized to use the "Authoring HTML" input format.
- Authoring HTML 6.x-1.x versions prior to 6.x-1.1.
Drupal core is not affected. If you do not use the contributed Authoring HTML module, there is nothing you need to do.
Install the latest version:
- If you use the Authoring HTML module for Drupal 6.x, upgrade to Authoring HTML 6.x-1.1
Also see the Authoring HTML project page.
- Eriksen Costa the module maintainer
Contact and More Information
The Drupal security team can be reached at security at drupal.org or via the contact form at http://drupal.org/contact.