PEER 1 Hosting is one of the world's leading web hosting solutions providers. The company is built on two pillars: Ping & People. Ping represents a commitment to their high performance and reliable SuperNetwork(TM) backbone. People represents a commitment to delivering friendly FirstCall Support(TM) to its customers. Their portfolio of hosting services include Managed Hosting, Dedicated Servers under the ServerBeach brand, and Colocation.
Headquartered in Vancouver, Canada, PEER 1 Hosting was founded in 1999 by two businessmen, Lance Tracey and Mark Teolis, who wanted to make the Internet available and affordable for companies of all sizes. Since 1999, PEER 1 Hosting has grown to include 17 data centers and 21 network points-of-presence throughout North America and Europe.
In the Fall of 2011 Appnovation Technologies was chosen by PEER 1 Hosting to create websites for their UK, US and Canadian businesses. PEER 1 Hosting wanted to rebuild all its major web properties and create a long-term, scalable website platform. The project was built and executed using Drupal and also involved migrating information from PEER 1 Hosting's existing sites.
The Drupal CMS was chosen for its multisite framework and multilingual capabilities. The multisite platform also allows for easy addition of new websites and site maintenance as all sites share the same code base.
- Reduce the amount of code releases required for new content
- Enable multi-language support
- Reduce workload requirements on Peer 1’s marketing department
- Provide better integration with tracking systems – analyze traffic and usage
- Optimized for performance and SEO
- Content publishing workflows and ability to add new workflows
- Reduce the number of entry points and access management
- Isolate data, logic, content and markup from each other to provide better security, portability and customization
- Automate simple everyday tasks – reduce the workload on admins
- Enable non-technical users to make updates
The project was developed using Drupal 6 as we had recommended them. When the project was originally proposed Drupal 7 was not mature enough. The client is already considering and reaching out to us about moving to Drupal 7.
The key functionalities built into the new site include:
- The new web site will be built using the Drupal multisite platforms
- This system allows for the easy launch of new websites on the same code base while allowing for a selection of features
- The platform allows for the easy management of the website code base but separates the database data storage such that the websites can have unique content
Intelligent Site Search
- Apache Solr will be set up for the new website
- Fuzzy search such that users can easily find the appropriate content
- Workflows for publishing content as outlined by PEER 1 Hosting requirements
- Multiple triggers and actions were configured
- The Drupal multilingual module was included to allow for multiple content nodes for different languages
- Modules were installed to create SEO-friendly URLs, and allow for complete control over titles and meta tags
Analytics and Live Chat
- The current CRM API code was embedded into the site
- The current Live Chat system was embedded
- An integrated Drupal knowledge base was set up to replace the old knowledge base system
The project team included:
1 Project Manager
1 Solutions Architect
3 Drupal Developers
1 Front End Developer