Scald depends only on the core Entity subsystem. However, to make it more useful, you need some submodules, each requires other contrib modules.
- DnD: features drag and drop interface for Scald atoms. DnD support many libraries, however if you don't want to use your own, the scald_dnd_library module (requires Views) is available.
- MEE (Multimedia Editorial Element): extends core's text field. It requires of course core's field and text modules and Scald's DnD module.
- Atom Reference: requires only DnD
An richtext editor like CKEditor or TinyMCE is not required, but is fully supported within Scald submodules (DnD, MEE). Scald handles both of the following methods :
- CKEditor module: with this RTE being the default one in D8 and its compability with the wonderful Edit module, we recommend that tou use this module for further benefits
- Wysiwyg module: using this method, you will be able to use the RTE of your choice with Scald (CKEditor, TinyMCE)
Scald supports many media providers like Youtube, Video, Dailymotion, Image, Soundcloud through its submodules.
Finally, Scald Quickstart module comes with precustomized providers, fields and permissions to help you quickly test Scald features.
In any case, enable the DnD and Scald DnD Library modules to have the default library browser, that integrates with exposed filters, inline atom edit, drag and drop support.
By default, noone is allowed to do anything. To make it more useful:
- Everyone should have the "fetch" permission (the fetchable concept allows us to do "soft delete"): Fetch any atom marked as Fetchable
- Everyone should also have the "view" permission to view atoms View any atom marked as Viewable.
Using a textarea field
- Enable the MEE module
- In the text field settings, there are two new options that can be enabled:
- DnD (allow drag and drop directly into this textarea)
- MEE (allow to track the embedded atoms, to unpublish node based on (primary) atom copyright expiration etc.)
By default only text_with_summary field can be used for DnD/MEE. If you want to use it with other fields, change the mee_field_types variable. For example (in settings.php):
$conf['mee_field_types'] = array('text_with_summary', 'text_long');
CKEditor 4.1 ACF
With you want to use ACF in CKEditor, you need to add the Atom Properties button in CKEditor toolbar because ACF is configured per-button. Otherwise, simply disable ACF feature with
CKEDITOR.config.allowedContent = true;
Using an atom reference field
The Atom Reference module creates an atom reference field. This is similar to (entity) reference fields with better control (can reference to multiple bundles etc.).
Drag and drop is also supported in atom reference fields.
3. Features integration
All Scald settings are exportable so that deployment is easy.
- Custom contexts are store in the
scald_custom_contexts variable. Other contexts are already defined in code using hook_scald_contexts().
- Context settings: are Ctools exportables under Scald context config component.
- Other settings are stored as variables.
- Screencast: Introduction to scald
- Screencast: Atom Reference Field
- Screencast: Video providers
- Screencast: Utiliser la puissance de Scald pour gérer tous vos fichiers multimédia (in French)
- Manage you media assets in Drupal with Scald module - Drupalcamp London 2013