Last updated September 28, 2012.
From time to time you might find yourself in need of renaming a project on Drupal.org and you want to preserve commit history. Here's a tutorial using iconfonts -> admin_icons module as an example.
- Create the new project, e.g. admin_icons.
- Clone the old project, e.g.
git clone --recursive --branch 7.x-1.x email@example.com:project/iconfonts.git
- In the old project, add a remote to the new project:
git remote add admin_icons firstname.lastname@example.org:project/admin_icons.git
- Push the current code to the new project:
git push admin_icons 7.x-1.x
- Repeat for each branch, e.g.
git checkout 8.x-1.x; git push admin_icons 8.x-1.x
- Make sure to update the Maintainers list on the new project matches the old project's maintainers so that you'll see the commits in the sidebar.