For this to work you have to have:
- Rules Module enabled
- and Rules UI enabled (this comes with rules)
- and simplenews rules enabled (this comes with simplenews)
After that you may want to add a new role for the people you want to be notified, but you can just choose any rol like the administrator role.
- Go to [[yoursite]]/admin/config/workflow/rules and add a new rule. Give it a name, then choose "A user has been subscribed " from the simplenews events and set that for "React on event". And save it
- Add an action for this rule, choose "send mail for all users in a role". And choose the role you want to be notified
- Under subject add something like:
New Subscription from <?php echo $mail; ?> for simplenews category <?php echo $tid; ?>
- Under message add something like:
A new subscriber with the email <?php echo $mail; ?> for the simplenews category <?php echo $tid; ?> has been added for your site <?php echo $site; ?>. Be happy.
Next time someone subscribes you will get an email. Now go and do the same for unsubscribe. Remember to use the event "A user has been unsubscribed" and use the proper wording in the email fields. This should do the trick.
You might be able to exchange the embedded php code with tokens, but this depends on the modules you have enabled in your installation.