- Advisory ID: DRUPAL-SA-CONTRIB-2012-164
- Project: Smiley (third-party module)
- Project: Smileys (third-party module)
- Version: 6.x
- Date: 2012-November-14
- Security risk: Moderately critical
- Exploitable from: Remote
- Vulnerability: Cross Site Scripting
These modules enable you to substitutes text emoticons, like :-), with images.
These modules don't sufficiently sanitize user defined smiley acronyms before displaying smiley images.
This vulnerability is mitigated by the fact that an attacker must have a role with the permission "administer smiley".
These two modules are based on the same codebase and Smiley was forked due to lack of new feature development in the Smileys project. This single Security Advisory covers the same issue in the code of both modules.
- Smiley 6.x-1.x versions prior to 6.x-1.1.
- Smileys 6.x-1.x versions prior to 6.x-1.1.
Install the latest version:
- If you use the Smiley module for Drupal 6.x, upgrade to Smiley 6.x-1.1
- If you use the Smileys module for Drupal 6.x, upgrade to Smileys 6.x-1.1
Also see the Smiley project page.
- Yonas Yanfa the module maintainer
- Michael Hess of the Drupal Security Team
Contact and More Information
The Drupal security team can be reached at security at drupal.org or via the contact form at http://drupal.org/contact.