I am using quickstart and was trying to ssh to it from windows. There are posts and documents available to do it but none of them covers all the required steps in one place.
So if you are using quickstart in oracle VM Box and want to ssh to guest ubuntu os from windows following are the steps to do it.
1. Go to quickstart VM's settings in VM Box.
2. Under Network Tab keep the Adapter1 to NAT.
3. Under "Advanced" click the port forwarding button and add the following port forwarding as below:
|Name||Protocol||Host IP||Host Port||Guset IP||Guset Port|
You can refer to the following images:
4. Now start the quickstart VM and open the terminal in the ubuntu.
5. Edit the file /etc/apt/sources.list to uncomment the resources of 'blackports' repository and Canonocal's partner repository.
6. Run the command "sudo apt-get update"
7. Once the update is done then run the command "sudo apt-get install openssh-server"
8. Once installation is done then run the command "ps aux | grep ssh". This should display the following line
root 2145 0.0 0.1 5652 2256 ? Ss 09:14 0:00 /usr/sbin/sshd -D
This confirms that the ssh daemon (sshd) is running on guest os.
9. If the above line is not displayed then sshd is not running. Use “sudo service ssh start” to start it. Try step 8 again.
10. Now if all is fine then you can login using putty as Host: localhost Port: 2222
This will even help to open the websites in quickstart in windows by adding proper host entries.