To use taxonomy terms to organize your content, the vocabulary must be associated with the content type.
- In order to associate taxonomy terms to your content, you must add a field of type 'term reference' on the /admin/structure/types/manage/[your-content-type]/fields page (manage fields).
- Under the Field column, click the select box and choose the type of field widget that you want your users to use to assign the term(s) to the content.
- D7 - Add a new field by entering a label in the Add new field box, select Term reference from the dropdown box in Field Type, then select the relevant widget.
- Click Save. You are immediately taken to the Field Settings page.
- Select the vocabulary that you want to use with this term reference field, then click Save Field Settings. You are taken to a page to configure the newly added term reference field. Here you can change the term label, provide some help text and provide a default value.