The latest dev version ships with a more flexible radix_starter theme to kickstart sub theming. Here's a quick guide.
Installing Compass Radix gem
- Install rubygems:
sudo apt-get install rubygems
- Install Compass Radix:
sudo gem update; sudo gem install compass_radix
This should also install sass, compass and other dependencies.
Create a subtheme
- Get the latest radix version:
git clone --recursive --branch 7.x-2.x http://git.drupal.org/project/radix.git
- Copy radix_starter and place it in your themes directory.
- Rename radix_starter to YOUR_THEME_NAME.
- Rename radix_starter.info to YOUR_THEME_NAME.info
- Edit YOUR_THEME_NAME.info. Add a name, description and uncomment the line hidden: true.
- Open a terminal and cd to your theme directory.
- Run the following command:
compass clean && compass watch.
- Visit Appearance in your Drupal admin and enable your new theme.
In your theme folder, you will find a _variable.scss partial under assets/sass. This file holds all the SASS variables used in the theme. You can customize your theme colors from there.