- Download Zen for Drupal 5 from http://drupal.org/project/zen
- Unpack the downloaded file and place the zen folder in your Drupal installation under one of the following locations:
- sites/all/themes (making it available to all Drupal sites in a mult-site configuration)
- sites/default/themes (making it available to only the default Drupal site)
- sites/example.com/themes (making it available to only the example.com site if there is a sites/example.com/settings.php configuration file)
- Log in as an administrator on your Drupal site and go to Administer > Site building > Themes (admin/build/themes) and make Zen or one of its sub-themes the default theme.
Currently available Zen themes:
- Zen — the base theme
- Zen Classic — the html and css for Zen 0.7
- STARTERKIT — the placeholder to create sub-theme’s of Zen
- Install the Theme Settings API module. Available from: http://drupal.org/project/themesettingsapi
This module is built-in to Drupal 6, so why not add it to your Drupal 5 installation?
- From the Theme settings page (admin/build/themes) configure the Zen theme or a sub-theme and note the additional settings that are now available under the "Theme-specific settings" heading.
There seems to be a conflict between some host installations of SiteBuilder and the Zen directory name. If you experience this problem, change the name of the theme directory from "zen" to "Zen" and you should be back in business. More about this issue: #91335: SiteZen site builder conflicts with theme name "zen".