Once you have finished defining the vocabulary, you may populate it with terms using Add.
- Term name (Required) -- The name for this term. Example: Technology.
- Description (Optional) -- Description of the term (this item may be used by some modules and feeds).
- Parents (Optional): Select the term(s) under which this term is a subset.
- Related terms (Optional): Choose any terms that are related to the one you are creating.
- Synonyms (Optional): Enter synonyms for this term, one synonym per line. Synonyms can be used for variant spellings, acronyms, and other terms that have the same meaning as the added term, but which are not explicitly listed in this thesaurus, i.e. unauthorized terms (this item not used by many Drupal modules).
- Weight (Optional): The weight is used to sort the terms of this vocabulary; by default they will be sorted alphabetically.
Adding Terms to a Vocabulary the Drupal 7 Way
After setting up your vocabulary, you will need to add taxonomy terms to it in order to organize your content. Terms can be added at any time but, you can't effectively organize your content by taxonomy terms until you add terms to at least one vocabulary.
To add terms to your vocabulary in D7:
- go to admin/structure/taxonomy/[your-vocabulary-name]/add
- Give your term a name
- Optionally, give your new term a description (optional but highly recommended)
- Click the 'Relations' collapsible field set to open it
- Assign a weight to your new term (optional)
- Assign parent terms. Select 'root' if you don't want parent terms. Click the 'Add' button or link to assign each parent term or to assign the parent as root.
- If you have Path Auto module installed and clean URL enabled, you can configure the URL path settings
- click save.
- repeat steps 2 through 8 for each term that you want to add to the vocabulary