XML Sitemap can notify search engines when your site map changes.
Go to http://www.example.com/?q=admin/config/search/xmlsitemap and choose the Search engines tab.
- Submit site map when updated
- Notify search engines every time your site is updated. You should check this box only if it’s very important that search engines be notified of changes immediately or you cannot schedule notifications with cron.
- Submit site map on cron run
- This is the preferred way to notify search engines of updates. XML Sitemap will wait until the next cron run to notify search engines of updates.
- Log access
- Record each time the site map is retrieved.
If you have enabled access logging, you can see the access records at http://www.example.com/?q=admin/logs/watchdog.
The full log message will provide details of when, by whom, and from where your site map was downloaded.
Enabling search engines
XML Sitemap can submit updates to any search engine. The included XML Sitemap: Engines module supports four search engines: Google, Yahoo!, Ask, and Windows Live.
- Go to http://www.example.com/?q=admin/build/modules and make sure XML Sitemap: Engines is enabled.
- Go to http://www.example.com/?q=admin/config/search/xmlsitemap and choose the Search engines tab.
- Each enabled search engine will have a section on the Search engines tab. To submit the site map to this search engine, click its check box.
- Check the search engine’s site for the correct submission URL, or use the default.
Users who have not enabled clean URLs have reported receiving an “Unsupported file format” error from Google. The solution is to replace ?q=sitemap.xml at the end of the submission URL with index.php?q=sitemap.xml. Submission URLs for each search engine can be configured at http://www.example.com/?q=admin/config/search/xmlsitemap/engines.
- Some search engines have other settings available for registered users.
- You can view the status of each attempt to submit your site map at http://www.example.com/?q=admin/logs/watchdog. (For Drupal 6.x it's http://www.example.com/?q=/admin/reports/dblog.)