You are installing a new install of Drupal and during setup receive the error
Client does not support authentication protocol requested by server; consider upgrading MySQL client.
You are probably using MySQL 4.1 or higher and need to reset the password to pre 4.1 style.
There's a quick way to fix this if you use recent versions of PhpMyAdmin and have the rights to edit MYSQL user information:
- Select the 'privileges' option on the main PhpMyAdmin page
- Edit the user you're using to connect to the Drupal database
- Scroll down to where it says 'Change password'
- Enter and re-type the password for that user
- IMPORTANT Where it says 'Password Hashing', choose the option that says 'MySQL 4.0 compatible'.
- Save your selection
You should now be able to connect to your Drupal database using that user and password with no more errors.