These are the basic steps for upgrading from Panels 2 to Panels 3 on Drupal 6:
- Backup your site before you begin.
- Disable your panels module.
- If you have any panels exported, 'in code', please go and override them all. The upgrade can only update panels you have in the database.
- Delete all old panel module files from the sites/all/modules directory.
- Unpack the new panels files & Chaos Tools files in sites/all/modules.
- Enable Chaos Tools, including the Page Manager module.
- Run update.php.
- Enable all panels modules (& Views Content Panes if you use views in your panels.)
After following these steps, Panels 3 should be working properly on your system. Make sure you upgrade on a test site before you upgrade on the live site, however, since there may be unforeseen issues.
If you do run into issues, here are some things you can try:
- Make sure you don't have any modules enabled that override pages like taxonomy/term/%, as this will cause conflicts with the Page Manager (see issue #469124: taxonomy/term/% overwritten by another module).
- Set panel panes to "No style" for Display if they are not showing up properly (see issue #507516: Problems with region styles after converting panels 2 panel-pages to panels 3 panel-pages).
- (This section needs expansion.)
After methodically following the steps above I found the following issues:
- The custom layout that had been applied to our panel was no longer applied. It was an easy fix of simply re-applying the layout.
- The panel was empty, the content areas had nothing in them. The fix was to reassign the various content to the appropriate content areas.