|Project:||Web File Manager|
Hello everyone, my name is Cameron. I'm the new maintainer of WebFM. I've gotten a couple of inquiries about where I'd like to go with this project, so here's my thoughts. Any input/questions/comments/criticism is much appreciated.
In order of importance:
1) Go through the issue queue and get rid of duplicate, old, or unneeded issues
2) Review and commit any existing patches to the current WebFM module
3) Do a 6.x-2.12 release that includes the patches committed in #2.
From there (and this is a big one):
4) Completely rewrite this module.
Yes, you read that right. I'd like to rewrite this module from the ground up so that it supports multiple file backends while exposing the same frontend. What this means for end users is that files can be stored in the database, in the filesystem, on Amazon S3, on remote FTP/SFTP/WebDAV servers, etc., but they will still look the same (that is, you'll see almost the same interface that is available now). Depending on how we do this, PHP5 may become a requirement for this module.
My questions to the WebFM users are these:
1) Would requiring PHP5 be a problem for your environment? (does anyone still run PHP4?)
2) What are your thoughts on the rewrite? Waste of effort? Great change?
3) What changes would you like to see in the 3.x series? New features? Modification of existing functionality?