Its time to decide how we want Biblio Collections to work.
I've set a Whiteboard up here: http://123.writeboard.com/eb64b5982e733fde9
Please drop by and edit it to tell me what you want Biblio Collections to be.
If you don't want to Whiteboard it, here is a copy of my initial questions..
Biblio is a drupal module which stores scholarly publication information. Biblio provides css (cascading stylesheets) for popular citation formats (e.g., APA, IEEE, etc.).
Biblio requires each citation be assigned a content type (e.g., journal article, book, etc.)
Biblio Collections would provide the ability to conveniently group publications. This document serves as the specifications of HOW biblio collections will be implemented.
1. There will be a collapsible entry on the Biblio Admin Settings page.
2. The following entries will be on the collapsible entry:
You can alter collections related settings here.
Allow users to see collections tab
This will allow the collections tab to be available within biblio settings
Allow collections to have different formats
This option will permit each collection to present in a different format (e.g., MLA, APA, etc.).
This is something to do with access i think i need for organic groups integration.
3. Do we want the admin to limit the formats available for the user/site to use on collections?
Biblio Admin Questions:
1. Do we allow admins to create collections for the site?
2. If we allow admins to create sitewide collections, do we also allow users to have their own collections?
3. If we allow admins AND users to create collections, how do we differentiate between a user collection and a sitewide collection. For viewing? For editing?
Biblio User Collections
1. Is there a limit to the number of collections a user can create?
2. Do we want the admin to limit the number of collections a user can create?
3. Where do we want the User collections to show up? Is this a tab on the user profile? Is this a new biblio page? Is this a link next to LIST/FILTER → LIST / FILTER /COLLECTION when you go to the standard …/biblio page?
4. Where do you want the User to create the collections? Is this a new biblio page? If so, where do I put the link? Is this on the user profile page?
Biblio Collections User Interface
1. What do you want the interface to look like to add nodes (biblio entries) to a collections? Is this a comprehensive site list with a checkbox beside each entry? Is this a drag and drop (left pane to right pane)? Is this a cntl+shift highlight and click button add/remove to collection?
2. Once added to the collection, what do we provide for sorting? Any biblio field or some subset or just let them use handlers and move things around.
3. Do we provide a button to ‘add all my own entries’ to the collection or ‘add all entries of a certain publication type or author ??’
Biblio Collections tables
From Capn R when I first brought up the subject:
The way I was looking at it is very much like a hierarchical taxonomy
vocabularies where the vocabulary is a collection and each collection
can contain pointers to nodes or other (sub) collections. You will
find a biblio_collection table which contains cid,vid,pid,nid these
are “Collection id”, “(node)Version id”, “Parent collection id”, and
“node id” respectively. Another table, biblio_collection_type, has
the “cid”, “name”, “description” for each collection. In theory
(since I haven’t actually tried it yet) you should be able to
construct a hierarchical collection with these two tables.
The issue I currently see is that cid is the key for biblio collections table. But on the contributor table, cid is also the key there. What should the key be on the collections table? If we leave it as cid on both tables, tell me what you prefer to see in the coding when I rename the collections id so I can keep it straight on the sql.
Style format .
I will need to add style to the top level of the collections table.
If there is no style assigned or it gets corrupted, we will default it to the system sitewide format.
1.Won’t we need to have one of the collections defined as the ‘default’ to use for the generic /biblio page?
1. How do you se this working with Views and Views filter/sorting etc?