Drupal requires your Netfirms hosting account to support PHP and MySQL. Currently all premium hosting plans on Netfirms support both PHP and MySQL.
A. DOWNLOAD AND INSTALL DRUPAL
1. To install Drupal download the latest version from www.drupal.org.
2. Once you have downloaded and extracted the Drupal files, upload them to
your web site using your FTP program.
B. CREATE A MYSQL DATABASE
Before proceeding with the installation, you will need to create a MySQL database:
1. Log into the Members section at Members Control Panel at http://www.netfirms.com/members
2. Click Site Tools
3. Click Database
4. Click Add
5. Enter a Database Description
The following will be created by the system for your database (please write this information down as you will require it at step D18):
Database address or hostname will be MYSQLHOST
C. IMPORT DRUPAL TABLE STRUCTURE
Once your MySQL database is created, import the Drupal table structure into it:
6. From the Netfirms Control Panel, clic Site Tools
7. Click Database
8. Click Admin
9. Click the phpMyAdmin button
10. In phpMyAdmin, click on the database name in the left column.
11. Click the SQL tab
12. Click the Browse button
13. You will then need to navigate to the appropriate directory to find the data: inside your drupal folder is a folder called database. Open that folder, and select the file: database.4.1.mysql
14. Click Go
D. CONFIGURE DRUPAL SETTINGS.PHP FILE
15. While in the Netfirms Control Panel, click Site Tools
16. Click File Manager
17. Double click the www folder
18. Find the location where you installed Drupal and open the file ../sites/default/settings.php so you can edit the following line according to the information you gathered in step B5 above:
$db_url = 'mysql://username:password@localhost/databasename';
a. Change 'username' in the above string to the username for your database (it begins with 'u').
b. Change 'password' in the string to your database password.
c. Change 'localhost' to: mysqlhost
d. Change 'databasename' to your database's name (it begins with 'd').
19. Save the changed settings.php file
E. CREATE AN ADMINISTRATOR ACCOUNT FOR YOUR DRUPAL SITE
20. Browse to your Drupal site (eg. If you installed the Drupal files to a folder called drupal, then your Drupal URL would be http://www.yourdomain.com/drupal , where yourdomain.com is your registered domain hosted at Netfirms)
21. Click the Create new account link (in the left column), and then login with that account. The first account will be the administrator account for your Drupal site.
NOTE: Inside the folder you installed Drupal to, create a folder called files. This will be where you will store files such as custom logos, user avatars, and other media associated with your drupal site.