This module allows users with the appropriate permissions to edit the allowed values of a CCK field from the node create/edit form itself. This is much more convenient for the site developers, and as it has its own permissions you can also open it up to the client*. There are two permissions: users with Edit CCK allowed values will be able to edit the allowed values of fields which have been explicitly configured to allow it; users with Edit any CCK allowed values can edit the allowed values of any appropriate field.
- Download and enable the module as usual.
- Set up permissions as you'd like.
- If you're using the Edit CCK allowed values permission then you need to explicitly configure the fields you'd like to be edited by users in that role. If you go to the field edit screen you should see a new checkbox titled Edit allowed values. Check that and save, and the link should appear on the node form for users with the right permission. This setting is configured per content type and not per field.
Warning if opening up to clients
*Currently this module presents the allowed values box exactly as it appears on the field edit form. That means that keys can be specified, and if not the key and value will be identical. The ramifications of this could be confusing! For example, if someone tries to change the spelling of an allowed value (without an explicit key) they might expect that all existing fields will be updated but they won't: all existing fields retain their current values, while all new nodes would have the updated one. If this is an issue for you, you might be more interested in a vocabulary-based approach using terms rather than CCK allowed values.
As CCK allowed values editor uses
hook_widget_settings_alter() the field settings are fully exportable using Features.
- The module will not work without JS. If there's interest, I could change that.
- Currently the allowed values aren't validated on submission.
- I've only tried this with, and opened it up to,
- I haven't yet added a theme function for the Edit allowed values link or the allowed values form.