The Pathauto module automatically generates URL/path aliases for various kinds of content (nodes, taxonomy terms, users) without requiring the user to manually specify the path alias. This allows you to have URL aliases like /category/my-node-title instead of /node/123. The aliases are based upon a "pattern" system that uses tokens which the administrator can change.
The 7.x-1.x and 6.x-2.x branches are currently accepting new feature requests and are kept in sync as much as possible. The 6.x-1.x branch is feature-locked and will only add bug fixes and security updates if needed.
- Multilingual URL alias support is still a little unstable and should be tested before used in production. See this issue in core #269877: path_set_alias() doesn't account for same alias in different languages which is very important and needs more coders/testers/reviewers. There is also a list of issues related to i18n in Pathauto which needs someone to help triage, test, review, and write fixes.
- Redirect (D7) / Path Redirect (D6) when installed Pathauto will provide a new "Update Action" in case your URLs change. This is the recommended update action and is considered the best practice for SEO and usability.
- Global Redirect ensures that your content is only visiable at the one, best URL possible (i.e. requests for node/2 are forwarded to "alias-for-node-2").
- Pathologic (untested, but may help with updating outdated links in existing content)
- Sub-pathauto (D7) / Sub-path URL Aliasing (D6) provides a way to use one alias for multiple URLs as long as the so that "node/1" is aliased to "about-my-site" then you can use "about-my-site/edit" to access "node/1/edit". Neat!
- Transliteration is useful if your site is likely contain characters beyond ASCII 128 and you want them transliterated into ASCII 128. (For Pathauto 6.x-1.x this feature is handled by the Pathauto module, see the README.txt for more details).
#D8CX: I pledge that Pathauto will have a full Drupal 8 release on the day that Drupal 8 is released.
#D7CX: I pledge that Pathauto will have a full Drupal 7 release on the day that Drupal 7 is released - PLEDGE FULFILLED!
- Maintenance status: Actively maintained
- Development status: Under active development
- Module categories: Administration, Path Management, Utility
- Reported installs: 482782 sites currently report using this module. View usage statistics.
- Downloads: 1,932,676
- Automated tests: Enabled
- Last modified: May 14, 2012