The Language Sections module may help address some requirements on your multi-language site which would be otherwise difficult to achieve.
- Views module header, footer and "empty" text sections, to make them "language aware".
- Language-specific custom 404 pages etc.
- Node bodies, to display something like "This content is only available in English" when someone tries to view in a language for which no translated version of the content exists.
- Text sections provided by other modules which do not offer multi-language capability.
- An easy to manage alternative to the Content translation module in some situations, typically on small sites.
See the Language Sections project page for further information.