Services is a standardized API for Drupal that allows you to create "services", or a collection of methods, intended for consumption by remote applications. Several "servers", or protocols, provide different ways to call these methods from a remote site. It works similar to the existing XMLRPC capabilities of Drupal, but provides additional functionality like:
- Pluggable "server" modules allowing for protocols other than XMLRPC (like SOAP, REST, AMF)
- Pluggable "service" modules allowing developers to add additional remote services
- Pluggable authentication mechanisms
- A number of included service modules which interact with existing Drupal modules like node, taxonomy, user, views, and system
Who might be interested in Services?
- Mobile developers wanting to integrate Drupal with an Android or iPhone application.
- Anyone else looking to integrate external applications with Drupal.
For community support and general discussion related to Services, visit the Services group on groups.drupal.org.