This handbook is about changing the look and feel of a Drupal site.
You can change the administrative settings to modify the appearance of the theme, you can copy an existing theme and then change or extend the code, or you can build a complete theme from scratch.
You can do more with a theme than change the appearance of an entire site. It is also possible to "theme" only certain sections of a site, certain types of content, or even individual pages. For example, your theme could specify a different look for just the front page of your site.
Some other things that you can do with a theme are:
- Change layouts, images or fonts.
- Hide or display fields dependent on user role.
- Dynamically respond to changes in the content or to user input.
- Modify or replace text (e.g., labels or attributes) and variables generated by modules.
- It's also possible to port open source designs between other systems (Joomla! templates, WordPress themes, etc.) and Drupal, or convert any website layout or template into a Drupal theme.
- Create a sub-theme. Your own version of a theme (existing or one that you create) that you can modify, while protecting the functionality of the original (base-theme) for update purposes creating a sub-theme.
Other Places to Explore
- Overview of theme files - Structure of Drupal6 and Drupal7 themes files individually https://drupal.org/node/171194
- Definitive Guide to Drupal 7 Theming - (Theming and Advanced Theming chapters from the Definitive Guide to Drupal 7) free online: http://themery.com/dgd7
- Installing Themes - To install existing, contributed themes, please visit Installing themes.
- Contributed Themes - Free Contributed themes at drupal.org. See demos of some of them at Theme Garden. Drupal 7 themes can be previewed at drupal7themes.arxic.com.
- Custom Themes - Unique custom themes created by Drupal designers that you can hire.
- Theming Tutorials - View a number of theming videos which guide you through common scenarios.
- Support - Having problems? Check the troubleshooting FAQ, in the theming forum or contact us on IRC @ #drupal-themes.
- Module Developer's Guide - Module developers can consult the module developer's guide, specifically Using the theme layer (Drupal 7.x) and (Drupal 6.x).
- HTML and CSS techniques - See the best practices page.
- SASS techniques - See the Sass Techniques and tools.