- Development, Data migration, Consulting, Support, Performance Tuning and Optimization, Site Audits, Multilingual websites, Upgrades, Deployment, Multisite installations, Mobile App Development, Infrastructure Planning, 3rd party Integration
- Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
- Usual project budget
- $2,000 to $25,000
2bits.com, Inc. is a Drupal consulting company based in Waterloo, Ontario, Canada providing Drupal services to clients mainly in the USA, Europe and Canada, as well as other clients globally.
2bits.com, Inc offers the following services to clients world wide.
Performance and Scalability Services
As your web site grows, it needs special care in order to stay online for visitors in case of a limited failure, to be tuned and optimized so it stays fast, and to cope with increased traffic. Our company provides a range of services for such situations.
The most common service is Performance Assessment Service, which can be provided in either of two phases:
- Phase 1: Web Application Audit and Stress Test
- Phase 2: Live Hosting environment Audit
Dedicated Servers Installation, Configuration and Tuning
Many of our clients have benefited greatly when we setup the servers for them from scratch.
We work with you to find how many servers and what configuration is needed for each number of CPUs, memory size, number of disks and size of disks, ...etc.)
After your host installs Linux, we take over and install the rest of the entire LAMP stack (Apache, MySQL, PHP) and tune them for optimal performance.
We also setup additional software for performance monitoring, statistics and tuning so the future
High Availability Services
Depending on your needs, 2bits.com, Inc can implement a redundant, high availability setup for your site so that if one component is down (e.g. a disk, a server or an entire data center), the site is still available to the visitors with minimal service interruption.
We can also setup the site on two geographically separate data centers (e.g. USA and UK), so that if one data center loses connectivity or has other issues, the workload is shifted to the hot standby site.
Managed High Availability, Performance and Scalability Service Retainer
For many clients we can manage the technical infrastructure to insure optimal performance and scalability for a monthly fee.
The extent of the part we manage does vary from one client to the other, depending on their specific needs.
We can develop custom Drupal modules that extend your site's functionality, per your specifications.
The module could be ones that integrate with other web sites or services, authenticate users externally (e.g. single sign on), or extensions to other modules, including ones that we contributed (e.g. userpoints).
Please forward the specification for the modules you want developed for an estimate.
2bits.com has been involved with the Drupal project since the summer of 2003, and has contributed to various aspects of the project.
The following code contributions were made by 2bits.com and are part of Drupal core:
- Site offline/maintenance feature (also here).
- Watchdog hook, and logging and alerts for Drupal 6 and here and here. This caused me to be the maintainer of logging and alerts starting with Drupal 6.
- Drupal to work behind reverse proxies, which was written for Drupal.org when it started to run behind a Squid proxy.
- Implement an automatic whitelist for path alias lookups to reduce the number of queries that Drupal makes.
- Theming of "submitted" for nodes and comments, to make customizing of these author and date/time easier and more consistent.
Other minor core changes and fixes include Separating the forum block for the sake of consistency, adding a subject to contact form, fixing the search box in PHPTemplate-based core themes, delete a user's session when a user is deleted, and fix for wrong SQL arguments, and notices, remove old pre-formAPI text from login page and remove reference to obsolete table name nominated to the most trivial patch of the month.
Drupal.org Code Contributions
Early on in drupal.org's lifetime, 2bits.com contributed code or maintained code that runs on Drupal's main web site or DrupalCon conference web sites, including:
- Donation module, for collecting donations via Paypal
- Fee module, for those attending the Barcelona 2007 Drupal Conference site to pay the fees
- Feature module
- Lists module
Google Summer of Code
Khalid has mentored students for Google Summer of Code Drupal projects since the program's inception in 2005. For the first summer, Khalid did code reviews and mentoring for Angela Byron (webchick) Angela, along with other students from past years have become mentors themselves in subsequent years.
Presentations and talks
As part of promoting Drupal, the following presentations and talks were conducted:
- Drupal Camp Toronto 2011: Site Performance and Scalability
- Drupal Camp Toronto 2010: 3.4 million page views per day, 92 M per month, one server and Drupal!
- DrupalCon San Francisco 2010: 2.4 million page views per day, 60 million per month, one server
- DrupalCon Washington DC 2009: Backend Drupal performance optimization and tuning: a guide for everyone.
- DrupalCon Boston 2008: Performance Tuning and Optimization for high traffic Drupal sites
- DrupalCon Boston 2008: Drupal For Fun and Profit: how to make a career in Open Source
- Drupal performance tuning and optimization for high traffic sites (OpenCraft, Cairo, Egypt, August 2007)
- Userpoints module and API (OpenCraft, Cairo, Egypt, August 2007)
- Drupal Camp Toronto May 2007: Performance tuning and optimization for high traffic Drupal sites
- Building communities using userpoints module and API (Drupal Camp Toronto May 2007)
- Using CCK/Views/Panels to build Drupal web sites (Drupal Camp Toronto May 2007)
- Using Drupal to build community web sites (Drupal Camp Toronto May 2006)
Many of the above presentations are available on 2bits.com, Inc. web site.
Drupal User Groups
2bits.com, Inc started very early on with the Toronto Drupal Users Group, back in 2006. Later, Khalid was co-founder of the Waterloo Region Drupal Users Group, and continues to organize the monthly event, sourcing out speakers and topics, as well as preseting several talks to that group.
Khalid has been helping with the webmasters team on drupal.org, starting early on, via the forums when it was the main means of interaction for community members.
Khalid Baheyeldin has served on the security team for several years, and continues to assist with issue reporting that comes in to the team outside of the advocated process.
- User Points
- User Points Contributed modules
- Performance Logging and Monitoring
- User Referral
- Node Vote
- Nagios monitoring
- Flag content
- Currency Exchange
- Favorite Nodes
- Job Search
- Image watermark
- Signup Pay for a node
- Drupal.org customizations
- SpreadFirefox theme
- Click Thru Tracking
- Reroute Email
- Stock API
- Extended Tracker
- Second Life framework
- Clean Feeds
- Delete all
- Text Link Ads Integration
- Profile CSV
- Queue Mail
- Logging and alerts
- Simple Paypal Framework
- Fee payment for event sites
- Topic / answers
- Session expire
- iMIS authentication
- Previous/Next API
- Lincoln's Revenge theme
- Mailing lists subscription
- Role activity
- No Anonymous Sessions
- Userpoints Karma
- User points Nodes and Comments
- Secure Login
- Vote Up/Down
- User matching
- Kiosk Theme
- Plugin Manager
- Referer Theme
- Node Matching API
- Register with Picture