after updating the core from 7.8 to 7.0, i can't see any panels page (e.g. the front page of http://graf-daf.helmsuhr.ch).

i don't know if this is a core or a panels issue, but i changed only the core files and didn't touch any panels files.

upate: sorry, after clearing the cache it works fine.

Comments

Status:Active» Fixed

Hm. Does that make this fixed? It's definitely not ideal that this happens (wonder what's causing that.. hm...), but it's also customary to run update.php when upgrading core, and that should clear the cache.

Hmm - I'm getting a similar issue. Just upgraded to 7.9 and my homepage panel disappears (all others work fine).

I'm left with the message:

Fatal error: [] operator not supported for strings in /var/www/website/common.inc on line 2320

Clearing the cache/update.php/cron has no effect

Could this be related to this issue: http://drupal.org/node/979912

Ok - found the cause of my issue was documented here http://drupal.org/node/1237020

Just forgot I'd applied this hotfix to my old install.

Here is the same problem (Issue Summary). I had to clear the cache after update from 7.8 to 7.9 to see a panel page.

Same here. Clear cache and it is working :-)

Clear cache worked !
But I had to revert to the old settings.php file (from v.7.8). No matter where i put the db info in the new settings.php, the site would revert to a clean install. Even with $update_free_access set to TRUE.
No idea how the new settings.php file is supposed to work.

Phew. Good thing the community posts their issues and fixes quickly. I was freaking out as one of my sites relies heavily on Panels. Clearing the cache fixed it for me too.

H0w d0 u clear the Cache? can't find an 0pti0n in admin.

I'm experiencing this. Have run update.php (upon upgrade from 7.8 to 7.9) and cleared cache (when panel pages did not load) and still the error persists. Investigating further--would appreciate hearing about anyone else for whom the suggested fixes do not work.

Update:

The panels pages in question are also OG groups. I do not have non-OG panels which I could check for comparison. I upgraded from OG 7.x-1.1 to 7.x-1.2 last week (before this error appeared), then to OG 7.x-1.3 today (after submitting the initial paragraph of this post), but this does not appear to have changed the error. (Note: I realize it may not be a great idea to be doing further updating of modules when update-related problems already exist, but I do have full backups of my previously working installation, so can recover if necessary.)

When I visit my Panel pages/OG groups, I see the following generated in my log:

31 Oct 2011 - 13:45 Theme key "panels_flexible" not found. Emrich
theme 31 Oct 2011 - 13:45 Theme key "panels_default_style_render_region" not... Emrich
theme 31 Oct 2011 - 13:45 Theme key "panels_default_style_render_region" not... Emrich
theme 31 Oct 2011 - 13:45 Theme key "panels_block_style_render_pane" not found

That and the fact that I see no errors like what I am experiencing in the OG issues queue make me think OG may not be the problem.

Still working on this...

Further update:

Note that I do not get the kind of fatal errors described in the links for comments 2 and 3 above. When I follow the link to my panel pages, I see the title for the page and then the usual View, Edit, Group etc. tags, but the rest of the content for the pages is simply missing. No error messages appear onscreen when I do this, but they do appear in my log as noted above.

Status:Fixed» Active

@ Snoopy, clearing cache is one of the very much used features that persists in being buried in drupal. You can find it here:

http://your-site/admin/config/development/performance

Status:Active» Fixed

Updated, ran cron, and cleared cache (again) and now panels are once again visible. Switching this back to fixed. Hope all this can help anyone else who runs into the same problem...

Thought I would join in on the party, clearing all caches under performance got all my panel pages back. This forum saved me a nice bit of heart ache.

Priority:Major» Normal
Status:Fixed» Active

Switching this from major to normal and fixed to active:

It seems that upgrading views triggers this problem again. It can still be fixed by clearing cache, so assuming there are no other problems occurring then it is relatively easy to control. However, this should not be happening and it would be nice to stop it...

Correction: the problem seems to be triggered anytime a contributed module requiring a database update is upgraded. I just noticed it again with entity api.

I had the same problem updating to views 3.0-rc1 (database update script required). Clearing chace worked for me.

Had the same problem as #16

Status:Active» Closed (duplicate)

This is not a bug. Cache clearing is needed. It's advised to do that after each upgrade. There are issues thay ask for a cache clear on each upgrade and it's likely this will be the case in the future.

So don't open this issue again please. I know it's anoying but it's not usefull to have the same discussion in several threads. For the moment always do a cache clear while upgrading.

Issue summary:View changes

upate: sorry, after clearing the cache it works fine.