Summary: Upgrade resulted in broken Views due to modules not enabled and erased View style settings.

I have a site that was using 6.x-1.0-beta5 until I noticed the recent(?) change to make 1.x be unsupported. This prompted me to install 6.x-2.0-rc2 and run Update. The process completed without any errors or other notifications. I was then surprised that my Views using Views RSS stopped working. Upon editing them and selecting preview, I received a notification that I needed to enable the Core Elements module. Upon enabling the this other module, I no longer received this error on preview but still did not have working Views. Upon further investigation, the settings for my view style (RSS Feed - Fields) were erased in the upgrade. I had to try to recall how I had these setup before the upgrade and am still making adjustments.

The fact that there was no warning of erased View style settings is the most disconcerting. In fact, the reality that NOTHING was mentioned about broken views or additional modules needing to be enabled is something that needs to be addressed. I suggest the following.

  1. View style settings should be preserved.
  2. Message upon upgrade completion that Core Elements module will need to be enabled.
  3. If left unresolved, warning of these issues on project page.
Files: 
CommentFileSizeAuthor
#8 zubView2.txt71.82 KBOhNopes
#6 zubView.txt56.18 KBOhNopes

Comments

Status:Active» Closed (fixed)

Thanks Samuel for reporting this. Actually, both Views RSS: Core Elements and Views RSS: Dublin Core Elements provide upgrade path from old 6.x-1.0-beta5 version of this module (there are no database updates in main Views RSS module), the problem though was with incorrent number of schema update if hook_update_N() implementation (should be 6200, but was 6100, and most probably that is why it was not recognized in your case).

This has been fixed in the most recent 6.x-2.x-dev version.

Thanks for the update, maciej.zgadzaj. Looking forward to this fix getting into a release candidate.

Soon. rc3 for 6.x-2.x is waiting for one more feature I need to throw in first...

This has been fixed in the most recent 6.x-2.x-dev version.

I upgraded to this version from the aforementioned 1.x to this dev one on my staging server and the style settings were wiped out as well. If you have a great deal of RSS views, make sure you're testing this on a non-production system.

Could you provide export of your 1.x view(s)?

StatusFileSize
new56.18 KB

Attached.

Can you try again? Seems it's missing a part at the end...

StatusFileSize
new71.82 KB

Done.

I have imported your view into the sandbox with 6.x-1.0-beta5 installed (creating profile full_name and story field_attach_images and field_extendedautorinfo fields first), got recent 6.x-2.x-dev, enabled Core Elements, run db update 6200 and got message that 2 displays have been updated. Everything worked fine, nothing was wiped out, feed is still ok. So I guess it is something specific about your installation.

Status:Closed (fixed)» Active

This is definitely a problem.

Upgraded from 1.x to 2.x via Drush (since its marked stable).

The first major issue people run into without realizing it is there is an update hook that is never called, see #1516318: make a new beta release?. If that update is necessary to migrate settings, that should be in a new release ASAP or people are going to hit a brick wall. I changed the update number myself and ran it, it executed, but no notification of any views being update.

Second, Views preview will show a fully populated, html escaped set of data. Visiting the RSS feed itself shows the correct number of elements but nothing in the item nodes at all. That's about where I am, and not really sure what to look at next.

I have exported and reimported the View and still get the same result- I see it in the preview, but not when I go to the page itself. No PHP/Apache/Watchdog errors.

Update: there were field templates associated with 1.x of Views RSS. I have moved them out of the theme, and it is now showing on the actual page. I believe we were adjusting the output for a Facebook App, and I need to check that next.

Status:Active» Closed (fixed)

As per #1516318: make a new beta release?, new rc has been just pushed to d.o.

Yep, works now.

Priority:Normal» Major
Status:Closed (fixed)» Active

> The first major issue people run into without realizing it is there is an update hook that is never called

This still seems to be a problem. I just upgraded to RC3 and my views were not updated.

And I don't understand how views_rss_core_update_6200() can EVER hope to be called, since the module is completely new as of version 6.x-2.x of the project.

That means it's getting installed for the first time WITH that update function registered as existing, which means the Drupal update system will not call it. The way the update system works is this:

- module installed: highest update_N number is stored in {system}
- update run: any update higher than the stored number is run

Hence it will never run.

AFAICT the functionality now in Views RSS: Core Elements used to be in the main Views RSS module, so the correct way to run the updates would be a views_rss_update_6200() which:

1. enables Views RSS: Core Elements
2. does the work currently in views_rss_core_update_6200()

Status:Active» Fixed

Thanks for pointing that out Joachim. Fixed in the most recent dev branch commit, just pushed to d.o.

Status:Fixed» Closed (fixed)

Automatically closed -- issue fixed for 2 weeks with no activity.