I'm migrating a site from D6 to D7.

    On D6 (which works):
  • Taxonomy menu configuration of vocabulary named "Catalog"
    • Menu location: Secondary links
    • Menu path type: Default
    • Synchronise changes to this vocabulary: Yes
    • Display number of items: No
    • Hide empty terms: Yes
    • Add item for vocabulary: No
    • Auto expand menu items: No
    • Custom name for vocabulary item: None
    • Display descendants: No
    • Do not create title link attribute: No
    • Use 'all' at the end of URL: No
    • Depth limit: None
  • panel "Taxonomy term template"
    • Path: taxonomy/term/%term
    • Selection rules: Term(s) being viewed vocabulary is "Catalog"
  • Taxonomy menu trails configuration
    • Vocabularies to select terms from: Catalog
    • Only if node doesn't have enabled menu item: Yes
    • Node's term selection method: First term
    • Additional path patterns for node detection: None
    • Get term's path from Taxonomy Menu modules: Yes
    On D7 (which doesn't work):
  • Content type has a term reference fields linked to "Catalog" vocabulary
  • Taxonomy "Catalog" taxonomy menu settings:
    • Menu location: Secondary menu
    • Menu path type: Default
    • Synchronise changes to this vocabulary: Yes
    • Display number of items: No
    • Hide empty terms: Yes
    • Add item for vocabulary: No
    • Add description for vocabulary: No
    • Add description for terms: No
    • Auto expand menu items: No
    • Flatten the taxonomy's hierarchy in the menu: No
    • Custom name for vocabulary item: None
    • Display descendants: No
    • Use 'all' at the end of URL: No
  • panel "Taxonomy term template"
    • Path: taxonomy/term/%term
    • Term being viewed vocabulary is "Catalog"
  • Taxonomy menu trails configuration on content type with Catalog reference field
    • Term references for setting active trail: Catalog
    • Term selection method: First term
    • Allow only terms with the current language: No
    • Only if content doesn't have enabled menu item: Yes
    • Separate active trail for each menu: No
    • Add active trail to the breadcrumb: Never
    • Term path: Ask Taxonomy Menu

On D7, selecting a first level term on the taxonomy menu sets the term as active but doesn't open the children terms. Navigating directly into the second level term doesn't set this active nor its parent.

I've tried to debug a bit the taxonomy_menu_trails.module (taxonomy_menu_trails_init function): when I navigate to whatever term I always see that arg(0) is "taxonomy", arg(1) is "term" and arg(2) is , which should be good. So, why does TMT behaves differently ? Maybe it is a Taxonomy Menu issue (I'm using the last dev) ?

in taxonomy_menu_trails_init

Comments

Taxonomy Menu Trails is responsible for setting active trail on the NODE page, not the term page. If I understand you right, this is not Taxonomy Menu Trails problem.

Status:Active» Closed (works as designed)

Oh I see now... I believed TMT set the active trail on taxonomy term page too (which I've customized with Panels to show all term nodes). My bad, sorry.
I'll investigate further. Thanks Dmitriy.trt.

You should check the list of "active" menus (search drupal.org for that). Also, upgrade to the latest Drupal core, there were problems with custom menus in old versions.

I already am on the latest core dev and the latest Taxonomy Menu dev (still on development phase of upgrade). The fact is that on D6 it is working as a charm. As I described before, on D7 the structure is almost the same, so I imagined to upgrade smoothly, but there is something bad that I've to trap...
Thanks for the suggestion.

For the record: it has to be something related with i18n. On D7, I've disabled module by module up to have the same correct behaviour of D6; after i18n inactivation the sites are identical (apart from the multi language, sigh).

No more available time today... but I'll continue to look for a solution.

Just a quick update: the module which breaks things is i18n_menu.