The CKEditor library was added to core over at #1878344: Add CKEditor JS library to core. They are working on addressing the gaps that we've identified, and their work is now available in a Drupal 8 branch — that branch is temporary until version 4.1 is released (currently 4.0.1 is in Drupal core).

Regarding those gaps: see http://buytaert.net/from-aloha-to-ckeditor and #1260052-148: Candidate WYSIWYG editors. CKEditor tickets 9829 (necessary to match pasting to current text format's restrictions and to ensure CKEditor doesn't add inline styles) and 9764 (CKEditor Widgets, cfr. Aloha Blocks) are the big ones and are not 100% stable, but are ready to be developed against.
One of the smaller gaps/tickets is 9387 (necessary for using CKEditor inside Edit, see #1886566: Make WYSIWYG editors available for in-place editing) and that's already been merged into the branch that will become the 4.1 final release, and is also part of the Drupal 8 branch.

To be able to start leveraging all this, we should merge in the current Drupal 8 branch while we wait for the 4.1 final release, so that we can start using these features.

A very important follow-up issue for #1890502: WYSIWYG: Add CKEditor module to core for example is #1894644: Unidirectional editor configuration -> filter settings syncing, which relies on features only present in the Drupal 8 branch.

With this new build, I optimized the build-config.js file (which determines which plugins are included in the build). See interdiff_build-config.js.txt for that. Roughly: more files that we don't need are excluded, the new CKEditor Widget plugin (plus examples) are added, the placeholder plugin is removed (it's kinda silly to still have this when you've got CKEditor Widgets).

I cross-checked all my changes with the CKEditor guys to ensure I don't break things — and in fact that's how I discovered a bug in CKEditor which currently prevents us from removing styles.js — a ticket is filed, and a comment is included in our build-config.js.

Files: 
CommentFileSizeAuthor
#4 interdiff.txt473 bytesWim Leers
#4 ckeditor_library_update_d8_branch-1905424-4.patch2.68 MBWim Leers
PASSED: [[SimpleTest]]: [MySQL] 49,450 pass(es).
[ View ]
#1 interdiff_build-config.js_.txt1.86 KBWim Leers
#1 ckeditor_library_update_d8_branch-1905424-1.patch2.68 MBWim Leers
PASSED: [[SimpleTest]]: [MySQL] 48,708 pass(es).
[ View ]

Comments

StatusFileSize
new2.68 MB
PASSED: [[SimpleTest]]: [MySQL] 48,708 pass(es).
[ View ]
new1.86 KB

The changes/formatting of build-config.js looks a bit odd.

#2: that's because they already use tabs in there; I'm just doing the same. That's all :)

StatusFileSize
new2.68 MB
PASSED: [[SimpleTest]]: [MySQL] 49,450 pass(es).
[ View ]
new473 bytes

I forgot to include the sharedspace plugin, which is necessary for CKEditor to work with Edit. I.e. I forgot to include the plugin introduced in CKEditor ticket 9387.

Status:Needs review» Needs work

The last submitted patch, ckeditor_library_update_d8_branch-1905424-4.patch, failed testing.

Fatal errors on taxonomy tests, eh? Somehow I doubt it.

Status:Needs work» Needs review
Issue tags:-wysiwyg, -Spark, -CKEditor in core

Status:Needs review» Needs work

The last submitted patch, ckeditor_library_update_d8_branch-1905424-4.patch, failed testing.

Status:Needs work» Needs review
Issue tags:+wysiwyg, +Spark, +CKEditor in core

This should not be able to cause test failures. It's only JS that's modified. Tests pass locally.

Status:Needs review» Reviewed & tested by the community

Right, looks fine to me. It is just syncing with a different version of a 3rd party lib, that we can easily update later again.

Status:Reviewed & tested by the community» Needs work
Issue tags:-wysiwyg, -Spark, -CKEditor in core

The last submitted patch, ckeditor_library_update_d8_branch-1905424-4.patch, failed testing.

Status:Needs work» Needs review
Issue tags:+wysiwyg, +Spark, +CKEditor in core

Status:Needs review» Fixed

Committed and pushed to 8.x. There's no way that JS is breaking testbot that badly. (I hope. :P)

Component:editor.module» ckeditor.module

Automatically closed -- issue fixed for 2 weeks with no activity.

Issue summary:View changes

Updated issue summary.