- Drupal 5.x
- upload.module (if using the ad_image module)
- Download and extract the most recent official release of the Ad module (http://drupal.org/project/ad) Move the resulting 'ad/' subdirectory within your 'modules/' directory. Be sure the web server has read permissions to this directory and the files within it.
- In the admin section of your website, under Site Building, choose Modules and enable the Ad module (admin > site building > modules). At this time you can also enable other ad related modules:
- If you wish to display image (banner) ads, enable the Ad > Image Ad. If it's not already enabled, you will also need to enable the Upload module
- If you wish to display text ads, enable the Ad > Text Ad
- If you wish to embed ads into your site content, enable the Ad > Embed module.
- If you wish to provide online graphical reports along with your ads, enable the Ad > Report module.
- Assign the 'show advertisements' permission to all roles that you wish to see advertisements. (admin > user management > access control)
- You can display ads in blocks in the admin section, under Site Building in Blocks, and enabling the per-ad-group blocks that are automatically generated. (admin > site building > blocks)
- Optionally configure an input filter for your advertisements that allows the html tags used to display correctly (admin > site configuration > input filters). If you need to associate a specific input filter with the advertisement content type, you may want to review one of the following projects:
For optimal performance you should set the DRUPAL_ROOT variable at the top of the adserve.inc file. Otherwise, the ad module will automatically determine your top level Drupal directory each time it serves an advertisement.