Every single time I use Devel Generate to create taxonomy terms I set "Max word length of term/vocab names" to 2 or 3 because I think it means how many words long the names will be. Generate content, after all, words the same setting "Max character length of titles". I propose, therefore, that in order to maintain consistency and decrease confusion, the former be changed to "Max character length of term/vocab names".

Files: 
CommentFileSizeAuthor
#10 devel-763928-10.patch1.82 KBTravisCarden
PASSED: [[SimpleTest]]: [MySQL] 0 pass(es).
[ View ]
#9 devel-763928-9.patch1.81 KBTravisCarden
PASSED: [[SimpleTest]]: [MySQL] 0 pass(es).
[ View ]
#3 devel-763928.patch991 bytesTravisCarden
PASSED: [[SimpleTest]]: [MySQL] 0 pass(es).
[ View ]
#1 devel-763928.patch683 bytesTravisCarden
PASSED: [[SimpleTest]]: [MySQL] 0 pass(es).
[ View ]

Comments

StatusFileSize
new683 bytes
PASSED: [[SimpleTest]]: [MySQL] 0 pass(es).
[ View ]

Here's a patch.

Status:Active» Needs review

StatusFileSize
new991 bytes
PASSED: [[SimpleTest]]: [MySQL] 0 pass(es).
[ View ]

Oops! I was asleep at the wheel on that one. I misspoke: generate content doesn't say "max character length". (I changed the wrong bit of code in my patch and confused myself.) So I guess I'll propose that we change both instances of "max word length" to "max character length". Here's a new patch.

Title:Change "Max word length" to "Max word length of term/vocab name" to "Max character length..."Change "Max word length..." to "Max character length..."

-1

"word length" is the length of a word (not the number of words as you keep misunderstanding) — "character length" would be the length of a character, which doesn't make sense.

You need to fix this in your head. If this isn't feasible then look at the bottom of your settings.php file where you can override strings that don't work for you.

Does anyone care about word length? This is a pretty obscure feature, IMO. Perhaps we should remove it or hide from UI.

Version:6.x-1.9» 7.x-1.0

I'm confused -- on the generate content screen, it has a field for "Max word length of titles" which definitely DOES refer to the number of words in each title (try putting in "2" in that field -- you'll get titles with two words, not titles using words with two characters).

In the generate terms screen, the field says "Max word length of term names" and on the generate vocabularies screen, the field says "Max word length of vocabulary names," but these refer to the number of characters in each word, as noted by the OP.

So in one case "word length" means number of words, and in the two other cases, "word length" means the length of the word.

I'm not taking a side in this fight, but the two should definitely not say the same thing if they mean different things.

Updating this to 7.0 as it is present in that branch, but this should be addressed for both 6 and 7, obviously.

Version:7.x-1.0» 7.x-1.x-dev
Status:Needs review» Needs work

Please post a D7 patch that changes the first item to "Max number of words in titles" and the others to "Max number of characters in term names" / "Max number of characters in vocabulary names".

Title:Change "Max word length..." to "Max character length..."Change "Max word length of..." to "Max number of characters in..."
Status:Needs work» Needs review
StatusFileSize
new1.81 KB
PASSED: [[SimpleTest]]: [MySQL] 0 pass(es).
[ View ]

Here's a patch that corrects the four instances of "Max word length" in devel_generate.module.

StatusFileSize
new1.82 KB
PASSED: [[SimpleTest]]: [MySQL] 0 pass(es).
[ View ]

Oops. I failed to respect the distinction made by @rootwork and @salvis. And while I was in there fixing my mistake, I realized that these several labels are the only ones that use the abbreviation "Max". All the others in the same file use "Maximum". So I changed these to the long form as well.

Status:Needs review» Fixed

Pushed to D8/D7, thanks!

Status:Fixed» Closed (fixed)

Automatically closed -- issue fixed for 2 weeks with no activity.