Here's the state of things are they currently are:
- Drupal core and contrib devs stopped using Image module as a solution years ago
- Drupal.org stopped using image module earlier this year
- Image module D6 has 90,000 users
- The current maintainers don't have enough free time to do the major work that an upgrade would involve
- Nobody is reviewing patches, let alone writing them
Therefore, development on image module has completely stalled. Either the 90,000 users are content with remaining on Drupal 6, or they are unhappy but not doing anything about it, or they are waiting in the hope that someone one day till. In the second and third scenarios, they will be disappointed!
It's been suggested we set up a chipin to raise funds to sponsor development.
Here's what I propose:
- I set up a ChipIn linked to my paypal
- I do work in chunks of a day or two, so there's visible progress
- we clarify what is going to be done over at #513096: The Future of Image in Drupal 7.
Any of the 90,000 users care to comment?