- New to Drupal front end developers: Give an example of an existing front end framework integrating seamlessly with Drupal.
- Developers who have a project that matches the use case of the chosen framework: Attract them to Drupal, give a base theme to get a quick start with.
- Front end beginners (including new learners and developers that work primarily on the back end): Provide a theme to learn with using the framework's documentation and resources, or create a prototype or minimally viable product by using the framework's existing components.
Similar projects currently in contrib
Original issue by Sun:
- https://github.com/twitter/bootstrap/issues/2054 - Dual-license Bootstrap
- #1445226: Add Twitter Bootstrap to whitelist
- Adopt the web tech best practices early, or earlier.
- The Twitter Bootstrap front-end framework implements the most current, most sensible approaches to produce a consistent, well-crafted, and well-designed web site [output], leveraging HTML5, CSS3, latest ECMA, front-end libraries, and whatnot.
- Bootstrap already implements the idea of a generic Theme Component Library (see also related core issues).
- We can learn a lot by simply trying to integrate Bootstrap as a simple theme for Drupal. Don't re-invent the wheel.
- The focus must be on "simple", because the Bootstrap framework is overly nitpicky about proper/compatible markup. The underlying case: Make our markup better.
Add a theme to Drupal core that is based on Bootstrap.
Primary goal: Leverage and expose Bootstrap's components/features in Drupal, ideally with close to zero theme function overrides.
There's absolutely nothing wrong with having it look and feel like the Bootstrap base theme experience, which is visible on countless of project websites. Bear in mind, the goal is not fancy — the goal is modern markup and web standards.
- #1382350: [meta] Theme/render system problems
- #1484720: [Meta] Reduce the number of theme functions/templates
2012-10-15 Working theme/implementation + ready patch for Drupal core (requires license blocker to be resolved)
Why this early? The primary purpose of this challenge is to identify markup, output, and shortcomings in Drupal that should be improved. Stuff like dropbuttons (quite) potentially need to be re-implemented to use proper markup. Ditto for other stuff like tabs, actions, etc. Changing/improved that stuff can be considered as "feature", so any improvements need to happen before feature freeze.
- 2012-12-01 Feature freeze.