When major or security updates are made to Drupal core, CiviCRM, or any of the modules included in the kit, a new release of the kit will be made that contains those updates. You can update individual modules before that by adding them to you /sites/all/modules directory. This overrides the version of the module in profiles/cm_starterkit_moderate/modules.
When an update is available for a kit, you will see a notice similar to the security notice you see for any other module.
In the future this process may be simplified for Drush users to simply typing something like:
drush up cm_starterkit_moderate
Until a features like #1888344: Support drush upgrades for Installation Profiles is added to Drush, there are several steps required to update the entire distribution:
- Log in to your site as admin (user 1)
- Create a complete backup of your files and database. (This can be accomplished with Backup & Migrate or Drush
- Download the latest release of the install profile. Will be named something like cm_starterkit_moderate-7.x-1.12-core.tar.gz
- Extract (tar -xvf cm_starterkit_moderate-7.x-1.12-core.tar.gz
- Rename the uncompressed cm_starterkit_moderate-7.x-1.12 to [yoursite]_new
- Copy all files and folders in your site sites folder (cp -R [yoursite]/sites [yoursite]_new/sites
- Copy the .htaccess file to your new site (cp -R [yoursite].htaccess [yoursite]_new/.htaccess)
- Update the permissions on the sites directory if required
- Rename [yoursite] to [date]_[yoursite]
- Rename [yoursite]_new to [yoursite]
- Go to /update.php and run any and all Drupal updates.
- Go to /civicrm/upgrade and run any and all CiviCRM updates.
- Be happy because you are now on the latest release of a Community Media Starter Kit!
Upgrading the Starter Kit to the current version shoudl update Drupal, CiviCRM, and all the modules to their current supported version. If you find that isn't the case, please open an issue in the Starter Kit's queue. It could be that there is a known compatibility issue with that version. It could also be that the person who last updated the kit missed that the module had been updated.
This process DOES NOT update any additional contrib modules you've added to the kit. You should add modules... these are just STARTER kits after all. On most hosts, you can add and update additional contrib modules using just the web interface. No FTP or SSH required!