WYSIWYG in core.
tl;dr: This issue is about adding an easily configurable, sensibly preconfigured, enabled-by-default CKEditor into Drupal 8.
What's already done:
- To make CKEditor easily configurable (and optional), we have already added the Text Editor module (
editor.module) to Drupal 8: #1833716: WYSIWYG: Introduce "Text editors" as part of filter format configuration.
This issue is about:
- implementing the
editor.moduleAPI so that CKEditor will become available on any form element that is using processed (filtered) text
- giving the user the ability to configure CKEditor with a drag-and-drop interface
- Enable the CKEditor module by default in the standard install profile, enable it as the default Text Editor for the Filtered HTML and Full HTML text formats, provide default configurations of CKEditor for both of those text formats, and potentially modify the filters/filter settings of those text formats.
- #1894644: Unidirectional editor configuration -> filter settings syncing
- providing Drupal-specific integration CKEditor plugins, such as using Drupal 8's dialog instead of CKEditor's, support for Drupal's
<!-- break -->etc.)
- #1886566: Make WYSIWYG editors available for in-place editing
- Make CKEditor leverage #1886566: Make WYSIWYG editors available for in-place editing
- Pull in changes from CKEditor 4.1, which will enable and fix significant gaps: #1260052-148: Candidate WYSIWYG editors. Relevant CKEditor tickets are: http://dev.ckeditor.com/ticket/9387, http://dev.ckeditor.com/ticket/9794, https://dev.ckeditor.com/ticket/9829 and http://dev.ckeditor.com/ticket/9764.
- #1872226: Ability to configure CKEditor’s pasting to match the currently active text format, plus control which attributes CKEditor sets.
- Leverage CKEditor widgets, most notably by having "true WYSIWYG" image captions.
- Improve the included CKEditor plugins, most notably the
drupalcaptionplugin should leverage CKEditor 4.1's "Widgets" functionality to achieve better UX.
- #1904976: Move CSS required by CKEditor-edited text to an appropriate location
- Ongoing until release: improve CKEditor's a11y: #1879430: [meta] Find and report any accessibility issue of CKEditor and its Drupal integration
User interface changes
- A new module: CKEditor — enabled by default in the Standard profile.
- A WYSIWYG editor enabled by default for the "Filtered HTML" and "Full HTML" text formats!
Here you can see it in action both for form-based WYSIWYG editing and in-place ("true") WYSIWYG editing:
- A new API for CKEditor integration: modules can register additional CKEditor plugins and override things.
- An API modification to the Editor module to allow for syncing text editor configuration changes (unidirectionally) to filter settings.
To ensure all those who've contributed significantly get credit, because they are not all visible in this issue!
Issue #1824500 by quicksketch, Wim Leers, jessebeach: WYSIWYG: Add CKEditor module to core
Original report by webchick
Note the original report was at #1878344: Add CKEditor JS library to core!
This is postponed on #1833716: WYSIWYG: Introduce "Text editors" as part of filter format configuration.
Work is happening in http://drupal.org/project/wysiwyg_ckeditor.