I'm setting up what will be a rather large site. I've never used Drupal, but used Joomla/Mambo a few years ago and recently started using WordPress more regularly. So, I'm capable. I can read and edit CSS, a tiny bit of PHP, and learn very quickly. I'd appreciate advice on where to start, what modules I will need, and anything else that might be helpful. I also need to make this as easy as possible as another person will take this over once complete and she'll do all updates and maintenance.
I should run v7, right?
Here are my specific needs.
- Hundreds of pages
- two stores
- Slideshows (one at store page, one on homepage, and probably a couple more)
- Good document handling
- Many of my pages will use the same template. For instance, I'll have instruction pages that are the same template with links to technical data, images, schedules, etc.
- Retail locator by zip code with map. I need to be able to list all my retailer locations and allow a customer to plug in their zip code and see nearby retailers.
- Great search and sitemap
- Simple but powerful menus
- Fast loading
- Calendar that looks better than but that syncs with Google calendar)
- Great mobile version of the site. I'd prefer responsive, but a mobile/desktop site would be acceptable.
- Ability to print a page well-formatted, without navigation through a print button on the page.
I've read a bit about Commerce Kickstart and it looks like that may be a great place for me to start. Agree? What else will I need?