The Drupal 6 Global Redirect module provides a lot of features like:
- Checks the current URL for an alias and does a 301 redirect to it if it is not being used.
- Checks if the current URL is the same as the site_frontpage and redirects to the frontpage if there is a match.
- Checks if the Clean URLs feature is enabled and then checks the current URL is being accessed using the clean method rather than the 'unclean' method.
- Checks access to the URL. If the user does not have access to the path, then no redirects are done. This helps avoid exposing private aliased node's.
- Make sure the case of the URL being accessed is the same as the one set by the author/administrator. For example, if you set the alias "articles/cake-making" to node/123, then the user can access the alias with any combination of case.
Checks the current URL for a trailing slash, removes it if present and repeats check 1 with the new request.
This patch aims to add those features (and the ability to configure them) into the Redirect module.