Basic example of use: A big image collection you want to share between drupals.
Basically, this module allows you to map the nid and fid address space to another Drupal instance. A simple example: Given you have two drupals, if you type in your browser front.drupal.com/node/1000000001, it will in fact display the node 1 of back.drupal.com using front.drupal.com theme. back.drupal.com is nowhere visible to the end user.
The trick is an override of node_load|save|delete, either with live patching with runkit, or static patching with the given patch.
WARNING: This module has a lot of technical implications, on the server load side and on the design side. This should be only used by experts. You will find much more infos on the README.
- Access/edit/delete nodes from others Drupal seamlessly: Display nodes from another Drupal in the main Drupal using the main Drupal theme. Totally invisible to the end user.
- Views executed remotelly or locally: You can choose on a per-display basis.
- Node creation locally or remotelly: Another configuration option!
- Remote content is cached: If your remote Drupal goes down, you can still survive.
- NID/FID Mapping: The Nids but the Fids are both mapped to remote instances. You can thus save nodes with images too.
- Compatible with most of contrib modules: Since this feature is made within node_load/save/delete, it will be invisible to contrib modules, as long as they do not do SQL queries on the node table directly.
This module is part of the newspaper module set maintained by Studio Multimedia France24/RFI.