The Auto Assign Role serves three primary purposes. The first is to provide an automatic assignment of roles when a new account is created. The second is to allow the end user the option of choosing their own role or roles when they create their account. The third is to provide paths that will trigger a specific role when an account is created. The administrator has full control over these functions and can have them working together or independently of each other. Auto Assign Role is integrated with the Content Profile module so that you can have content types serving as registration pages. You can even replace the default user/register page with a customized version of your own design.
I'm starting d7 development so if you have an interest in participating at this stage you can begin by writing use cases for what the module should or should not do. Here are the ones that will need to be completed to reach a beta:
These are tickets that outline the functionality an administrator would use to configure auto assign role or the behind the scenes behavior we should expect.
Automatic role assignment
Automatic role assignment happens when a user account is created.
- #937468: Use Case - Administrator enables/disables automatic assignment
- #937666: Use Case - Administrator enables/disables automatic assignment of admin created accounts
- #937678: Use Case - Administrator sets roles for automatic assignment
- #971584: AAR should handle situations when role settings change
Allow user to Choose
Allowing a user to choose their own role exposes a set of form fields on the user registration form.
- #944880: Administrator toggles allowing user to select role.
- #944922: Administrator sets roles that will be visible to the end user
- #944944: Administrator toggles letting user select multiple roles
- #944974: Administrator sets the selection method of roles for an end user.
- #944978: Administrator toggles if user selection of roles is required.
- #944988: Administrator toggles sort order of roles exposed to an end user
- #945010: Administrator sets a fieldset title for roles exposed to end user
- #945016: Administrator sets the user role field title
- #945024: Administrator set roles description exposed when end user selects roles
Assign from path
Assigning from path allows for any form that creates a user to automatically assign a custom set of roles to that user.
User creation can happen both from the web and programmatically.
- #944864: User object saved programmatically and assigned roles
- #937434: User creates account from the web and is assigned roles based on interface selctions
- #971434: User creates account from the web and is assigned roles by path
- #971622: Auto Assign Role only assigns roles automatically when auto assignment is enabled.
- #971652: AAR only assigns roles created by admins when instructed.