You can install one Aegir Master Instance on your server using Barracuda and then add any number of Aegir Satellite Instances (on the same server) using Octopus installer, or you can use new install wrappers to install everything in 3 simple commands.
Note: the 'Master' and 'Satellite' names in the Barracuda/Octopus context are not related to the multi-server Aegir features. It is related to the multi-Aegir-instances environment, with virtual chroot/jail for every Aegir instance.
Barracuda is the main script for the base/core Aegir Hosting System install and upgrades, including OS environment, main Aegir instance, but no platforms will be added there to keep it compatible with all existing and future installs, when you don't need any ready to use platforms and instead you are using the system for managing your own imported platforms/sites.
There is also Tuner script available (see BOND.sh.txt) for easy system tuning for development and switching it back easily to the standard production settings.
Supported Parent Systems
* Xen, VServer, Linux KVM or VMware based VPS or a dedicated box.
* VirtualBox VM for localhost install - check the how-to for:
Ubuntu Precise: http://bit.ly/boa-precise
Debian Squeeze: http://bit.ly/boa-squeeze
Supported LTS OS (32/64bit minimal, fresh install)
* Debian 6.0 Squeeze (recommended) - 12 min install, 3 min upgrade
* Debian 7.0 Wheezy - 30 min install, 15 min upgrade
* Ubuntu Precise 12.04 - 12 min install, 3 min upgrade
* Ubuntu Lucid 10.04 - 30 min install, 15 min upgrade
NOTE: Average time to install and upgrade tested with PHP 5.3 option _PHP_MODERN_ONLY=YES (default), using Barracuda installer only. Upgrade time is applicable when PHP upgrade is required.
* The Git standard port 9418 must be open.
* SMTP standard port 25 (or SMTP relay) must be open for outgoing connections.
* Minimum 512 MB of RAM.
* Locales with UTF-8 support, otherwise en_US.UTF-8 (default) is forced.
* Basic sysadmin skills and experience.
=== Included by default - see docs/NOTES.txt for details
* All libraries & tools required to install and run Nginx based Aegir system.
* Latest release of MariaDB 5.5 database server with Chive manager.
* Latest version of Nginx web server.
* PHP-FPM 5.3.25 with APC, phpredis, uploadprogress and ionCube.
* Fast Redis Cache with DB auto-failover for all 6.x and 7.x platforms.
* Fast proxy DNS server (pdnsd) with permanent caching.
* Limited shell, SFTP and FTPS separate accounts per Octopus instance.
* Limited Shell and FTPS accounts per Aegir Client with per site access.
* Drush and Drush Make access - drush4, drush5 and drush6 on command line.
* HTTPS access with self-signed certificate for all hosted sites.
* Magic Speed Booster cache, working like a Boost + AuthCache, but per user.
* Entry level XSS built-in protection on the Nginx level.
* Firewall csf/lfd integrated with Nginx abuse guard.
* PHP errors debugging, including WSOD, enabled on the fly on dev. aliases.
* Boost, AdvAgg, Domain Access and Drupal for Facebook built-in support.
* Built-in collection of useful modules available in all platforms.
* Autonomous Maintenance & Auto-Healing scripts in /var/xdrago.
* Every 10 seconds uptime/self-healing local monitoring.
* Automated, rotated daily backups for all databases in /data/disk/arch/sql.
=== Optional add-ons - see docs/NOTES.txt for details
* MultiCore Apache Solr 1.4.1 with Jetty 7 - see docs/SOLR.txt for details.
* MultiCore Apache Solr 3.6.2 with Jetty 8 - see docs/SOLR.txt for details.
* MultiCore Apache Solr 4.2.0 with Jetty 8 or Jetty 9 on Precise and Wheezy.
* Fast Redis Lock support with DB auto-failover for all 6.x and 7.x platforms.
* Latest release of Percona 5.5 database server.
* New Relic Server and Apps Monitor with per Site/Instance/Server reporting.
* LDAP Nginx support via third-party module.
* MongoDB driver for PHP 5.3
* GEOS extension for PHP 5.3 (experimental).
* FFmpeg support.
* PHP-FPM 5.2.17 with APC, phpredis, uploadprogress and ionCube (deprecated).
* Bind9 DNS server.
* Webmin Control Panel.
* SQL Buddy database manager.
* Collectd server monitor.
* Compass Tools.
Please read the full ReadMe first: README.txt
Please see updated how-to in docs/INSTALL.txt
Please see updated how-to in docs/UPGRADE.txt
SSL and extra IP
Please see updated how-to in docs/SSL.txt
Apache Solr Search
Please see updated how-to in docs/SOLR.txt
Custom Nginx rewrites
Please see updated how-to in docs/HINTS.txt
Current Stable is BOA-2.0.9 Barracuda Edition, see CHANGELOG.txt
Barracuda development is maintained and sponsored by Omega8.cc.
Barracuda community site is hosted on http://groups.drupal.org/boa.
If you wish to support Barracuda development or simply send a nice 'Thank you' to the Universe, please donate something to The Rights of the Child charity. Thank you!