Bricks are Drupal blocks that support with ctools context, content types, and access plugins. This module basically lets you make exportable Drupal blocks (bricks) out of Panels pane displays. The project includes some examples that demonstrate the basic functions.
This module is a simple replacement for many different projects. Bricks provides the essential functionality of the listed modules.
- CCK Blocks
- Node as Block
- Block clone
- Contact form blocks
- Contact form on node
- Form block
- OG Block visibility (with OG Panels)
- Teaser block
- Block content per role
Brick overlaps with these projects
- Context: If you're using Context just to export block visibility settings and to use more complex conditions, Brick will do a lot of this for you.
- Panels: Panels is a much more powerful project than Bricks, but the kinds of content you can use in Panel pane displays are also available to Bricks. Context and relationships are also supported. If you're using Panels, you should rely on Mini Panels instead of Bricks, though Bricks does operate harmoniously with Panels.
Included in the module are some examples:
- Tag description: Shows term descriptions for terms on the node.
- Last user login: Uses context keyword substitution to print an English language string of the last time the user logged in.
- Sidebar image: Shows the image field from the node in the sidebar.
- User contact form: A functioning contact form for the user's main profile page.
- Search users: On the node search page, show a block of user search results with the same keywords.
Adding more types of Bricks
To add more Bricks content types, just write a ctools content type plugin. Enabling the "Views Content" module that comes with ctools will be very useful too.