What is Brightcove?
The Brightcove Video Cloud is a video hosting and publishing solution. You can use it to deliver professional quality video to all kind of audiences with different devices. It offers highly customizable players, HD streaming, syncing with 3rd party CDNs and with YouTube. It supports for a broad range of mobile devices and HTML5 video. Interested? You can check the list of Brightcove's top customers here.
The Brightcove module integrates this service into Drupal. You can use it to add Brightcove video to your content and access the information from the Video Cloud in your site.
You can find two modules in the package. The Brightcove module provides the API integration with the Brightcove service and the Brightcove CCK Field (Brightcove Field in Drupal 7) provides the necessary fields. After enabling both, you can:
- Browse videos - You can browse your videos coming from Brightcove Studio directly in Drupal. You can even search in videos by name or tags.
- Upload a video - You can upload a video from your site. At least a Brightcove Professional account is needed for this (you'll need a Write API key).
- Use Views integration - You can use a video player and all the data from Brightcove in your views, including metadata such as play counts, creation dates etc. Various formatters are available, for example a Lightbox2 player. You can use the ImageCache integration on the remote images to shape the content from Brightcove.
For both Drupal 6 and 7 an external library (the Brightcove PHP MAPI Wrapper) is needed.
For Drupal 6
- ModalFrame API
- jQuery UI. When installing this module, you should download and use the (now legacy) version 1.7.3 of the jQuery UI library.
Please keep in mind that both for ModalFrame and jQuery UI (with 1.7.3) to work properly the jQuery Update module is also needed.
For Drupal 7
- CCK. If you would like to migrate your existing video content, the Content Migrate module is needed.
- Brightcove PHP MAPI Wrapper. For installing the wrapper, please refer to this handbook page. This library has an additional requirement of PHP 5.2 (or greater) or the JSON PECL package.
Installing the module is quite straightforward, just follow the steps on the Brightcove installation & configuration handbook page.
About the Drupal 7 version
Using the field provided by the module you can:
- browse and use previously uploaded videos from your Brightcove account,
- upload new videos to Brightcove and display them,
- display the video player on the page or in a modal dialog
- use other formatters (e.g. thumbnail linked to entity)
- add description and other metadata
- display metadata as formatters.
- integrate with Media module and Media Gallery module.
Migration from Drupal 6 to 7
We've tested the upgrade path - you can migrate your previously created fields with the Content Migrate module of CCK. With Views, most likely you'll have to re-add your fields after the migration. You can read about the entire process here.
Read Handbook page.
Contact, support, acknowledgments
Parts of the basic API support based on Media Brightcove project by Aaron Winborn.
Please file all support requests in a Drupal.org issue tracker.