Display Suite allows you to take full control over how your content is displayed using a drag and drop interface. Arrange your nodes, views, comments, user data etc. the way you want without having to work your way through dozens of template files. A predefined list of layouts (D7 only) is available for even more drag and drop fun!
By defining custom view modes (build modes in D6), you can define how one piece of content should be displayed in different places such as teaser lists, search results, the full node, views etc.
Watch a screencast to see it all in action!
- Add your own custom fields in the backend or in your code
- Add custom layouts in your theme (D7 only)
- Change labels, add styles or override field settings (semantic fields).
- Full integration with Views and Panels
- Extend the power of your layouts by installing Field Group
- Optimal performance with Object cache (D6) or Entity cache (D7) integration
For Drupal 7 all functionality has moved into this module. This includes support for nodes, users, comments, terms, search, Views displays. All in one package, less code, even more power!
- Display Suite: The main module to rearrange your fields.
- Search: extend the search results for Drupal core or Apache Solr.
- Extras: extra functionality like semantic fields, region to block, hide page title etc.
- Forms: style the layout of forms.
- Format: provides a PHP filter with entity context (only 7.x-2.x and higher)
- UI: Manage custom fields, classes and view modes through UI (only 7.x-2.x and higher)
Differences between the 7.x-1.x and 7.x-2.x branch
- Documentation at http://drupal.org/node/1524800.
- New features will only go into the second branch, bugs will be fixed in both, if applicable.
- The most important difference however is this: do not upgrade from 1 to 2. It will break your layouts and configuration.
The Drupal 7 version requires the Chaos Tool Suite also known as CTools.
This is an API module and won't do anything without the addition of one or more modules that implement it. A list is available at http://drupal.org/node/1078444.
The 6.x-2.x branch is the recommended 6.x branch, includes support for CCK3 multigroups, database storage and performance improvements, some minor UX improvements, as well as many internal API changes. This is a recommended upgrade if you have a lot of displays, as it moves display storage out of the variables table. If you have only a couple of displays or a low-traffic site and do not need multigroup capabilities, you can remain on 1.x.
More information is available in the Display Suite group.
As 6.x usage has slowed down, only bug fixes in an RTBC state will be excepted.
How to upgrade 6.x-1.x to 6.x-2.x
- Clear your cache, revert any features with exported displays
- Backup your database
- Check that your build modes do not have names longer than 64 characters (and ~50 chars for Views displays)
- Download and install Display Suite 6.x-2.x and the latest versions of other DS modules
- Run update.php
- Check that 2.x is working with any other modules which implement Display Suite
- Support for Tabs was accidentally dropped in 6.x-2.x. If you have a small number of displays, you may wish to remain on the 1.x branch, or consider using http://drupal.org/project/panels_tabs.
All info, links to compatible or API integration modules, articles, screencasts etc. can be found on the documentation pages. There is also a group on groups.drupal.org to discuss new larger developments, post use cases etc.