File entity provides interfaces for managing files. It also extends the core file entity, allowing files to be fieldable, grouped into types, viewed (using display modes) and formatted using field formatters. File entity integrates with a number of modules, exposing files to Views, Entity API, Token and more.
File Entity is required by the 7.x-2.x branch of the Media module.
The File entity project is not compatible with Media 7.x-1.x. You must use the File entity module bundled with Media 7.x-1.x.
File has three dependencies:
- File entity can be installed using the standard module installation process.
File Management Initiative
We are currently working on getting large parts of File entity into Drupal core.
File entity exposes Drupal files, enabling them to be managed. To further extend Drupal's file handling abilities, including:
- Handing files from external sources and services such as YouTube, Vimeo and Flickr.
- Inserting files into content using WYSIWYG editors.
- Reusing existing files in file and image fields.
- Mass importing of files.
See the Media module.
For more information on File entity, see the following resources:
- Maintenance status: Actively maintained
- Development status: Under active development
- Module categories: Content, Content Display, Fields, File Management, Media
- Reported installs: 23113 sites currently report using this module. View usage statistics.
- Downloads: 279,518
- Automated tests: Enabled
- Last modified: January 11, 2013