Glossary2 (G2) is an alternative glossary module written for Drupal 4.7 to 7.0, designed for high-volume glossary / dictionary sites.
The default site implementation of G2 is the french Riff Glossary of computing. If you implemented G2 on your own site, please open an issue to describe your use case so you can get listed here, where you will be more visible and others can get ideas from your implementation.
- 2011-08-29 : 5.x-1.2 final version for Drupal 5. 5.x branch now closed.
- 2011-07-24 : Drupal 6.1.1-alpha1 release
- 2011-01-22 : First usable -dev version for Drupal 7
- 2011-01-11 : End of life for the 4.7 branch and final 4.7-1.1 version
- 2010-12-31 : End of life for the 5.x branches.
- 2009-11-11 : Production release 6.1.0. 5.x-1.1 production release for Drupal 5.
- 2008-01-17 : Drupal-6.x dev version.
- 2008-01-06 : Drupal-5.x dev version.
Lifecycle and support
Versions: G2 is now 6.x only for production, with unsupported versions for Drupal 7, 5, and 4.7. The current D7 dev. version is essentially similar to the D6 version. A native 7.2 or 8.1 version is expected to result from the merging effort on glossary modules.
The module evolution for the historical branch has gone directly from the Drupal 4.7 to Drupal 6 API, so the D5 version is only provided as a means to upgrade to D6, not for production use.
The Drupal 7/8 version is expected to receive significant changes, among which:
- removal dependency on a single specific node type
- theme functions replaced by templates (2011-01-24: partly done)
- different and simpler themeable elements (2011-01-22: partly done)
- extended filter syntax
G2.module or glossary.module ?
G2 Glossary is not intended as a direct replacement for the glossary module. There is an up-to-date comparison of glossary modules on the Audean wiki, and a very obsolete version on drupal.org. To sum it up, G2 is for sites needing a glossary for a large number of entries (think several thousands of entries), and is node-based instead of term-based. Other alternatives include Lexicon and the glossary features of Glossify.
Versions for Drupal 6 and above follow the Drupal coding standard. Contributions welcome, especially for Drupal 7 and 8.
Due to incompatibilities between the GPL 2 and the french legal system, under the auspices of which this module is developed and distributed by OSInet, the default licensing for this module from its publisher is the GPL-compatible CeCILL 2 license.
However, like all modules on drupal.org, the module is also licensed to drupal.org under the GPL 2 or later, which enables drupal.org to distribute it under the GPL 2 or later too.